Has it ever occurred to you that having a generator at your tailgate or camping site may be ruining the fun for others around you? These devices are among the loudest running engine powered devices. They can get so loud that they can disturb your group’s good time too.
So what do you do about?
The answer is you need to find a quieter running generator. Fortunately, these days some the best generators for camping are also the quietest running ones.
Believe me when I say we know that finding a quiet generator for camping is not easy. It can be a very stressful task. That is why we are here to help you. We have selected 5 of the top model quiet running models for review. In addition to that, we will also give you some general advice on quiet generators.
Best Quiet Generators For Camping and Tailgating 2019
5 Small Quiet Camping Generator Reviews
After doing research and reading many reviews by customers these are what we feel are the best quiet generators:
Honda EU1000i Super Quiet Generator For Campers
- Lightweight and compact: weighing only 29 lbs., the EU1000i is incredibly lightweight and portable, it's easy to get it to your destination
- So quiet, your neighbors will thank you, the EU1000i operates at 53 to 59 dBA, which is less noise than a normal conversation, this makes it ideal for camping, supplemental RV power and any other activity that requires quiet operation
- Honda's inverter technology means stable, clean power in a smaller, lighter package, the precision of Honda's inverter technology ensures our inverter generators produce power that is as reliable as the power you get from your outlets at home
- Protected by oil alert: this protects the generator by shutting the engine off when low oil pressure is detected
- Thanks to our exclusive eco-throttle system, the EU1000i offers fuel efficiency, it runs up to 8.3 hours on a single tank, depending on the load.
Why are Honda models among the most recommended? Just look at all of the great features this one has. It supplies 1000 watts of continuous power, starts easily and will run over 8 hours at a 25% load.
The Honda EU1000i is also easy to move thanks to its unique suitcase design. It only weighs 29 pounds when empty too. You don’t get much more portable than that in a generator. This mini generator really can’t be beat if you are looking for camping trailer generators or for tailgating.
WEN 56200i Super Quiet 2000-Watt Portable Inverter Generator
- Extremely quiet operation is comparable to the sound of a normal conversation according to the US Department of health and human Services
- EPA III and CARB Compliant 79.7 cc 4-stroke OHV engine produces 2000 surge watts and 1600 rated watts
- Great for campgrounds, construction sites, tailgates and power outages
- Produces clean power to safely operate and prevent damage to sensitive electronics such as phones, tablets, televisions and computers
- Includes two three-prong 120V receptacles, one 12V DC receptacle and one 5V USB port
It has such nice attributes as 1500 continuous working watts and it emits less harmful emissions in the process. The Wen 56200i can power and charge a large variety of devices too. At 48 pounds of weight it is fairly portable for a powerful generator too. That makes it easy to take with you in any size car when camping or tailgating.
Among its other quality aspects are the fact it has very little harmonic distortion and it has a special eco mode it can run in too. This model also comes backed up by a very nice 2-year warranty from Wen.
Briggs & Stratton 30545 P3000 3000-Watt Generator For Tailgating
- Run Time:up to 10 @ 1/4 Load
- Running Amps 21.7A
- Alternator:Permanent Magnet
- Clean and instant power to keep appliances and other important electronics running during a power outage, 30545s engine speed reduces noise, fuel consumption and emissions
- Quieter than a traditional camping generator with enough power to start a standard RV air conditioner
One of the nicer things about this model is that it has oversize wheels. This evenly distributes its weight so you can easily move it around with the included handle. It’s just one of the reasons why it’s the perfect tailgate generator. That ease of movement makes it nice for RV camping use too.
Briggs & Stratton backs the 30545 P3000 up with a full 2-year warranty too. That is some good peace of mind you get when purchasing this quiet generator for camping or tailgating.
Westinghouse WH2200iXLT Small Quiet Camp GeneratorYou can run a good amount of devices off this nicely 1800 watt powered inverter generator for camping. The Westinghouse WH2200iXLT has 2 built-in standard outlets and one 12V power source too. It runs quiet also thanks to its uniquely built 3-hp overhead valve engine.
The Westinghouse WH2200iXLT has the ability to run overnight without refueling too. It can run for up to 13-hours with a 25% load. The gas tank on it holds 1.3 gallons to help extend its run time.
Despite its power, this option still only weighs 43 pounds. That means you can take it along with you when camping or as quiet generator for tailgating. It also features carb compliant emissions. The easy working pull starter will have you running within seconds of setting it up too.
This option can be hooked up in tandem with another Westinghouse WH2200iXLT too. The Westinghouse WH2200iXLT comes backed up by a very nice 3-year warranty and also includes free lifetime customer support.
WEN 56180 Silent Gas Powered Generator
- EPAIII and CARB compliant generator allows for operation in all 50 states
- Rated amperage 12.5 A.1800 surge watts and 1500 running watts provides power for both times of emergency and recreation
- Operational volume (decibel): 63. Lightweight and compact generator runs at half load for 7.5 hours off of 1.1 gallons of gasoline
- Includes two AC120V three-prong wall outlets and one cigarette-lighter-style 12V DC outlet
- Low-oil shutdown safeguards the 4-stroke OHV engine from damage while the spark arrestor permits usage while camping in national parks and forests
One of the nicer features in the WEN 56180 is its internal air cooled 98cc engine. Air cooled engines run cooler and in turn it extends there useful life. This option is also carb compliant in all 50 states. The fact it’s an OHV engine is what helps reduce its noise output when it’s working.
The engine is also solidly attached to a strong tubular frame. That will enable two people to grab on and move this generator. It also has an easier than normal pull starting mechanism. The WEN 56180 will also run over 7 ½ hours at 50% load when its 1.45 gallon tank is full.
Why Should Campers Buy A Super Quiet Generator?
It’s no secret that most people go camping to reconnect with nature. They also do it to get away from all that bothers them in more crowded urban areas and suburbs. There is just something peaceful about being in the area with wide open spaces and nature. A camp generator that is loud can ruin that for you and everyone else around you.
That is why small quiet camping generators are the smart choice for camping. They provide you with a win-win situation. You get power for your creature comforts and you do it without ruining a peaceful camp setting.
There are also rules at many campsites as to how loud a generator may be. It would be a shame to not be able to watch your favorite sport while camping because the rangers made you turn off your noisy device. A good silent generator for camping could help you avoid a scenario like this.
How do you go about finding small quiet camp generators? For one, you can look at the decibel rating of any model on its packaging or the manufacturer’s website. Customer reviews will also tell you how quiet a camping generator runs too. Research is the key to finding a nice quiet running generator to take camping.
What Size Generator For Camping Do You Need?
This is a hard question to answer for a high quality generator for camping? It really comes down to whether you are camping in an RV or in a tent. You will need a bigger size generator if you are trying to power your RV. Most likely you will need 3000 starting watts or better if you want to run air conditioner or frig.
For a tent camping power supply you are just trying to get some creature comforts and won’t have any devices that require much power. That means a 1500 starting watts generator should work just fine for you.
1500 watts is enough power to easily charge mobile phones, run stereo boom boxes and power lights. So go with a lighter and more portable generator when buying one for tent camping.
One important thing to remember when shopping for a generator for tailgating is that bigger is not always better. It’s not necessary in most cases either. Most devices that require power when tailgating do not require much power at all. That includes electric stoves, portable TV’s and lighting.
A generator with 1000-1500 watts of power output should work well for tailgating. Since that is the case try to choose a generator model that is portable, runs quiet and has the best price. Look to purchase a good quality generator too.
Rate our review:
Useful resource: 10 Best Portable & Stationary Generators – Complete Buying Guide
Last update on 2020-01-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API