In case you are wondering, it’s very possible to find a quiet generator model. The only thing is that different power needs require different types of quiet models. A silent generator that works well tailgating may not work for your RV at a campsite. If you have the right info you can also be buying one of the best quiet generators at an affordable cost.
I want to help you identify what type of quiet model you need. To accomplish that I will review four great quiet devices. I will also alert you as to what features to focus on when looking to buy a quiet portable generator. By the end of this article, you will have all the info you need to purchase a top-rated quiet generator.
Best Silent Generator Reviews in 2020
Here are some models that stand out when looked at in comparison with other options. These are the top silent generators for each of 4 popular categories of generator use:
Honda EU3000iS Silent Gas Generator
- 2800 watts, 120V
- Trusted, quiet power for home back up
- Lightweight and portable
- Inverter - fuel efficient, quality power for sensitive equipment & electronics
There is more to this high quality silent generator than just its low 58 working decibels too. It has a peak power rating of 2800 watts. It can power any travel trailer or keep food cold overnight in a refrigerator truck.
This option can work in Tandem with other models too. It comes with a 3-year warranty also.
Champion 3500-Watt RV Ready Portable Generator with Wireless Remote Start
- Designed for Safety - Includes a low-oil shut-off sensor and has a 0.6-quart oil capacity (recommended 10W-30)
- Reliable and Powerful - At 4000 starting watts and 3500 running watts, enjoy up to 12 hours of run time on a full tank of gasoline with a noise level of 68 dBA from 23 feet
- Outlets - A 120V 30A locking outlet, a 120V 30A RV outlet and a 120V 20A household outlet; Engine Speed: 3600
- Volt Guard - Prevents overloads and keeps your valuable equipment safe from voltage spikes, plus a voltmeter allows you to monitor power output at a glance
- Champion Support - Includes 3-year limited warranty with FREE lifetime technical support from dedicated experts
It features 3500 watts of power. This power comes from its efficient 196cc Champion engine. That’s enough to power any AC unit that is 15,000 BTU’s or less. It can run many devices and appliances on your RV with no problems. This device rates high on customer reviews too.
Generac 6866 iQ2000 Portable Generator
- Quieter than Honda. Smarter. Portable. Run Time (50% Load)-5.7 hrs. Fuel Capacity-1.06 Gallons. AC Rated Output Running Watts-1600
- PowerDial integrates start/run/stop functions into 1 easy-to-use dial / PowerBar monitors and displays wattage used
- 7.7 hours run time at 25% load. Displacement: 80 cc; Oil Type: SAE 10W-30
- Economy, Standard, and Turbo modes of operation saves fuel and reduces noise
- Parallel 2 units together for twice the power (parallel kit model 6877 sold separately) / Storage Cover model 6875 sold separately.Full load fuel consumption (gallons/hour):2.85
This super quiet generator from Generac is the most portable small generator. Its small enough it can even fit in the trunk of a standard size car. Its suitcase type design makes its 48-pound weight easy to move. The 2000 watt starting power and 1600 watt running power are nice too. It can run a few small electric devices at one time.
The 6866 iQ2000 will run overnight on a full tank of gas at a 25% load. You can also select to use it in one of three modes. These are econ, turbo and standard. It’s very energy efficient when running in econ mode.
It’s the quietest generator you will find too. The motor only revs up based on the current power draw to the unit. The theory is simple here; when the motor does not have to work hard this model is very quiet. Reviews by customers of this unit are also very favorable.
Briggs & Stratton 30651 P2200 Quiet Inverter Generator
- Quiet and fuel efficient 111 cc OHV engine produces 2,200 starting watts and 1700 running watts
- Produces less than 3 percent total harmonic distortion making it safe for laptop computers, TVs and game systems; Run Time Upto 8.0 at 25 percent Load
- 1 gallon fuel tank for Upto 8 hours of continuous operation at 25 percent load, USB port allows charging of portable electronics in order to stay connected
- Parallel connector port allows connection between 2 units for more power; Muffler : Super Lo Tone. Start Type : Recoil
- At 59 decibels operating volume, it's quieter than a normal conversation (Sound levels may vary based on proximity and location; measured at ¼ load at 7 meters from control panel side)
This is the best generator for camping as far as noise level is concerned. The Briggs & Stratton P2200 is also a good quality tailgating option that is budget friendly. It boasts many features that make it great for camping and tailgating.
Why should you plug electric devices into an inverter generator like this one? It’s because these type of generators produce even and safe power flow. That will help protect the devices you run on the generator.
This model has 2200 watts of starting power and 1700 watts running power. That’s enough watts to power lights, audio equipment and smart devices. This is a must when tailgating or camping.
Factors to Consider When Choosing the Best Quiet Generator
Here are the main things to look at when buying a quiet generator:
Power in watts is the biggest factor of all when looking to choose a quiet model. The model you buy has to have enough watts to power up the devices you want to run. Be careful when looking at the watt numbers on a unit. Be sure you use the ‘running watts’ only for determining your power needs.
Ease of setup
You want your new device to set up easily. It should be able to run as soon as you fill it with gas or propane. Simple controls are also nice. Electric start devices and remote starters are nice to have too.
When you are looking for an ultra-quiet generator you will need to know the decibel level that it operates at. This is found on the packaging label or manufacturer’s website. Also, pay attention to other features like throttle controls and overhead valve engines. These make for quiet running units too. Read some reviews to get a feel for noise level also.
There are two things to consider here. The first is the straight up weight of an option. You are not going to want to lug a 90-pound generator down a trail to a remote campsite. You want a lightweight model with an easy carry suitcase style design for that. So look at weight versus intended use.
You can’t just go by weight alone when finding out the portability of a unit either. A 40-pound model may be harder to move than a 70 pound unit on wheels. Look to see if the model you want to buy has wheels and a pull handle. Metal tube frames make for easy carrying too.
Safety is key when using any model. All the outlets on the unit should be breaker protected. Hot working parts should be covered in by a metal frame or plastic. There should also be an emergency cutoff switch that you can get to easily. If you are unsure about something safety wise ask. Safety is something you can never take lightly during generator use.
If you need to charge a smart device while camping it does no good if your model does not have a USB port for this. I know this is a no-brainer. You would be amazed what people do when they buy generators. You have to match the type of outlets and ports to your needs. For example, if you are buying a model to use with your RV then make sure it has an RV receptacle.
Sometimes it’s not prudent to bring a big model to a place. In that case, you can look to see if two small generators working in tandem will do the job. Many models can be hooked into another same model generator to add more power.
There are varying prices on quiet models. Some are lower in cost than others for what you get. That’s why you need to shop around to get the best price on a generator for the money. If you look around you just may be able to find a cheap quiet generator that works great too.
The best brands of these devices come with a good warranty. Warranties give you good peace of mind when buying one. You have to remember that generators are subject to some rough conditions when working. So try getting an option that has a long warranty if you can. Also, make sure that warranty covers as much as possible.
Rate our review:
Also read: Top-Rated Portable Generator Reviews
Last update on 2021-05-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API